Monday, February 8, 2021

Blog 19 February 8, 2021 Pets Inspire Writing

 


Recently, I was asked if Jumbo, the mastiff / border-collie mix in my novel, The Matchmaker (to be released), was based on either of our dogs. The answer is in part. Jumbo’s fierce loyalty to the protagonist, Tony Tiernan, was based on our oldest dog, Mufasa, a likely example of hybrid vigor as he nears seventeen. Though we can only guess at Mufasa’s heritage, he appears part Chow, reveals possible northern origins in his desire to pull, with a dollop of who knows thrown in. As a young dog, he would attack any dog that interposed itself between him and me, especially if the unfortunate was large and male.

While age has calmed him, every now and then something – most often a matter of food or affection – might still trigger him. Though the threat is now limited more to growls than an actual attack, those growls could freeze blood. Conversely, he is more affectionate than ever, extraordinarily so in my opinion, often blocking me from leaving if he desires more. On occasion, he will not eat until I pet him. He particularly responds to hugs. Once he’s satisfied, I can go.

The question about Jumbo extended more broadly to pets as possible inspiration in creating.
Though it might now appear redundant after my revelation about Mufasa, I would like to offer further commentary about this. Contact with any of our five aging pets (two dogs, three cats) generally affects my overall sense of well-being. In turn, an elevated state of mind enables me to concentrate my internal resources purposively, for certain upon writing, but even just to experience an infusion of gratitude for being alive.

The daily routines of our pets include the pursuit of affection from me and my wife which they get. During the pandemic, my recognition of the interdependence between our pets and us has grown and clarified. Their presence and our tending to their needs have reduced the sense of isolation Covid 19 can produce.

Though I believe when you caress an animal, you quiet internally, nevertheless they can inspire intense emotions, love prominent among them. I’ve never cried at the death of a human being, no matter my sense of loss, but the passing of a pet leaves me in torrents of tears.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ Mcarthy Releases Another Crime Fiction Novel

  Quis Auxilium Me (Somebody Help Me) is set in 1963. Shortly before his seventeenth birthday, Sean Thornton overhears a confession of an im...