Thursday, October 27, 2022

Blog 39 Reading and Writing

 

There are two topics I’d like to examine from this observer / participant in a reading / writing life: 1) what a writer reads during a writing project and 2) what a writer focuses on during the interlude between writing projects. Not infrequently, these are two questions asked in interviews with authors. And not surprisingly, I’ve found great variation in the answers offered. 

In considering the first query, to my knowledge, my reading selectivity doesn’t vary during or between writing projects. I’m a reader by nature, a reader who reads always. I often have two books at hand, most often a work of fiction balanced by a nonfiction work, the latter preferably narrative in structure.

During a writing project, the only alteration in my reading, by addition, is the readiness to pursue research at almost any moment. If an awareness of a need to pursue research crops up I’ll temporarily suspend the writing until I’m reasonably assured I’ve grasped a subject, especially if it is to be incorporated into a story, even if it is a single line. I like to know things, always have – knowledge for knowledge’s sake. But in addition, there is always a reader with a bent for exactitude somewhere ready to pounce on an avoidable error.

Example: I’d never heard of the animal sedative, xylazine, in the news recently. Apparently opioid / opiate addicts have begun to incorporate it into their endless search for chemical nirvana along with heroin and, more dangerously, fentanyl. An hour’s investment in an internet self-education session followed to heighten my knowledge.

As for the second query, the interlude between my writing projects, it tends to be brief. I’ve read of authors taking months or even years between major publications, for a myriad of reasons, but that just hasn’t turned out to be my way. Thus far, in my very humble writerly life, at a moment of publication, I usually have another major project roughly entered into the computer. (Not a recommendation, again it is just my tendency.) That said, the long journey of editing, for me a satisfying journey, always beckons. So, it is rapidly back at it after a quiet celebration of accomplishment.

And, of course, the reading, pleasurable and germinative, never stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RJ Mcarthy Releases Another Crime Fiction Novel

  Quis Auxilium Me (Somebody Help Me) is set in 1963. Shortly before his seventeenth birthday, Sean Thornton overhears a confession of an im...